This dish is a popular Ind0-Chinese dish and is a popular street food in India. India is known for its unique street food. Never having been to India myself I felt as though I was missing out and wanted to recreate it myself. It’s generally made with stuff like paneer or chicken but since that’s not vegan I decided to make it with tofu instead.
I don’t think the recipe is very authentic since I tried to make a healthy vegan version of it but it’s pretty close and it turned out amazing- although I have to admit I added a bit more salt then I should have and ended up having to add a little more water to it. BUT, it turned out great for a first try and when I made it again a few days later it turned out really perfect.
In India, the places that make this dish authentically tend to deep fry the paneer but I chose to stir fry my tofu since I try not to eat fried foods. They also make it spicier which you can of course do by adding spicy green peppers or ground red pepper but I chose not to.
This is my take on the recipe (so don’t come at me in the comments lol) and I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Even my sister who tends to stay away from my food because it’s “too spicy” for her liked it a lot.
1 block of firm or extra firm tofu
1 medium sized white onion
2 spring onions
1/2 green bell pepper
Corn starch or potato starch
- Drain and cut the tofu into bite sized pieces.
- Put about 1-2 tbs of oil on a pan and put it on medium high. Place the pieces of tofu on the pan and stir fry till they are golden brown on both sides.
- Take the tofu off the pan and place on a plate to cool.
- Chop your white onion and bell pepper julienne style and mince or chop about 2 tbsp. of garlic and ginger.
- On the same pan add about 1-2 tbsp. of oil and let it heat on medium to high for about a minute.
- Add the minced or finely chopped garlic and ginger into the oil and let them heat till they become slightly golden/brown.
- Now add the onions and bell pepper to the pan and stir fry it. Make sure to keep stirring them so they don’t burn or get overcooked. Add salt according to taste.
- Once they are well cooked add about 4-6 tbsp. of soy sauce, 2 tbsp. of ketchup and mix well for about a minute.
- After mixing, add about 1/2 to 3/4 cups of water to the pan and let it start to boil.
- While the water heats, mix about 1 tsp of corn/potato starch with 2 tsps. of water in a small bowl. Mix well or the starch will settle at the bottom.
- Add this mix to the water once it starts boiling to thicken it up.
- Now add the pieces of tofu and mix everything really well till everything is evenly coated in the sauce.
- You can garnish the finished dish with spring onions, sesame seeds, or coriander leaves. (Optional)
- Enjoy with naan, rice or even on its own.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. It does have more steps then my usual recipes but Indian food tends to be like that which is why I sometimes shy away from making it and stick with my favourite Korean foods lol. Anyway, I think this was worth the effort and although there are quite a few steps it’s relatively easy to make and you if you like it you can make it in bulk and freeze it. It tastes so good reheated.
Do you like Indian food? Have you tried this dish? What’s your favourite Indian dish? Do you like tofu? Let me know in the comments below and if you don’t want to answer the questions simply stop by and say hi!
If you enjoyed this post don’t forget to like, follow, share and comment!
Enjoyed this post? Then follow me on social media:
Email me on(guest posts welcome!): email@example.com