It’s hard to socialize when you have social anxiety. It doesn’t mean you don’t want to socialize at all though. Here are some tips to help you socialize more comfortably:
- Go to events- don’t feel pressured to go clubing or to parties if you’re not comfortable in those sort of social events. Instead go to places like book clubs, poetry readings or any place that is of interest to you where you can meet people. If you’re in university going to those special lectures that are held or joining a club will help you find people with similar interests who are more relaxed/less extroverted which can be a lot less draining and quite enjoyable.
- Take breaks- don’t overdo it with the socializing. Even though it’s good to socialize make sure you’re not draining yourself by not prioritizing your mental health. Make sure to take some me time as well which will actually help you socialize better since you’ll be more refreshed.
- Take baby steps- don’t rush into it, instead try to take baby steps to ease yourself into being more social. When you push yourself too far out of your comfort zone you may end up doing more damage then good. Instead take your time until you’re comfortable being more social and don’t get as anxious about it. Try talking to one new person or simply say hi to someone to start out with.
- Be honest and genuine- don’t pretend to be someone you’re not because it can be exhausting and make your anxiety worse. Like I mentioned earlier don’t do something you won’t necessarily do in general like go to a random party. Instead try to find people you genuinely like who have similar interests. I cant speak for everyone but I’ve found that people I can have a genuine conversation with and who I can be myself around are so much less draining and anxiety inducing.
- Seek help- if you feel as though you are having serious trouble with your social anxiety or any other mental health problem for that reason please seek help from a professional.
For more posts on mental health click here.
If you enjoyed this post don’t forget to like, follow, share and comment!
Enjoyed this post? Then follow me on social media:
Email me on(guest posts welcome!): email@example.com