So it’s almost the end of the year and I really wanted to share some of the things I really enjoyed this year!
My 5 Favorite Books Of 2016:
- The Unknown Ego– this book is about the Freudian theory of the ego and how it effects behavior. It explains from a psychodynamic approach how human behavior is effected by the by our earlier experiences in life. I would not really encourage everyone to read it but I would encourage anyone who is interested in psychology, especially the psychodynamic approach, to check this book out. I’m still barely starting to learn psychology but since I want to become a therapist I thought I should read up on it and this book was so easy to follow and simple so I also really liked it for that reason.
- We The Living By Ayn Rand– This is the first book I’ve ever read by Ayn Rand and I can tell you it was really something. It takes place in Soviet Russia and even though it is a work of fiction it is quite realistic is showing what life was for the Russians after the Civil War- especially for those who did not support the Reds. I would highly recommend reading this book at least once unless you’re the kind of person who gets depressed easily by books (I’m like that too! I literally cried after reading this) in which case I would suggest you avoid it by all means.
- On The Road by Jack Kerouac– I don’t even know what to say about this book. This book has changed my life in such a way that I could never be thankful enough. Kerouac has been a lifesaver for me. I wanted to read this book for quite a long time and when I finally did it turned out to be so much more than I expected. It’s about a young mans journey around the US with his incredibly amusing and often outrageous friends. This book inspired me to start working on my own book starting next year and gave me some amazing ideas. While reading this book I felt like my mind just opened up and I had this amazing epiphany. Even to people who don’t usually enjoy reading I would highly encourage reading this book. Believe me it will change your life!
- Othello by William Shakespeare– I was really inspired by this book too and found it a fascinating read. This is probably my favorite Shakespeare book so far and I actually read it because I had to for my English Literature for school. It is a sad description of how a mans life is ruined and turned upside down due to racism and prejudice and his wife too suffers a sad fate for her undying love for him. I would recommend this book to everyone but if you’re a fan of Shakespeare or if you don’t mind the kind of olden English used in this book you should totally check it out!
- Bluebeard’s Egg And Other Stories by Margret Atwood– I have been obsessed with Atwood’s work since I first read The Handmaids Tale which I also had to read for my English Literature but last year. This book is a variety of short stories which are all incredibly interesting with surprising and mostly pretty sad endings. I would highly recommend this to anyone who’s a fan of Atwood’s work or of kind of depressing short stories in general…
Honorable Mention- The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy By Douglas Adams– The only reason this book isn’t on the list is because I kind of felt like the sequels were not as amazing as the first book and in fact I am finding it kind of difficult to finish the last book. This book however (the first one) is witty, sarcastic, humorous, kind of insane and really interesting. I would highly recommend giving it a read especially since it’s quite small and you can finish it in like a day.
My 5 Favorite TV Shows Of 2016:
- 30 Rock– The cast includes Tina Fey, Alec Baldwin, Tracy Morgan, Jane Krakowski and more. It’s hilarious, interesting, deep, sarcastic and basically one of the greatest shows I’ve ever seen!
- Arrested Development– The cast includes Jason Bateman, Michael Cera, Will Arnett, Portia De Rossi, David Cross and many more incredible actors! It was hilarious, outrageous, emotional, thought provoking and more. I would highly recommend watching it even though the end is kind of left hanging because it didn’t really end (it’s hard to explain just Google it!)
- The Office (US)– The cast includes Steve Carrell, John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer, Rainn Wilson, Mindy Kaling, B.J Novak and many more. The first word that comes to mind when remembering this show is probably outrageous. From Jim’s silly pranks and antics to his love for Pam he stole our heart. Steve Carrell may be the worst boss ever but he too will forever be remembered fondly as Michael Scott. If you’re a fan of Parks and Rec or The Office (UK) I would highly recommend this show.
- Modern Family– The cast includes Ed O’Neill, Sofia Vergara, Ty Burrell, Julie Bowen, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Eric Stonestreet and many more incredible actors. I absolutely love this show. It’s hilarious yet enables to learn so much about both life and family. It’s ongoing and if you haven’t began catching up yet all I can say is what are you waiting for?!?
- Fresh Off The Boat– The cast includes Randall Park, Constance Wu, Hudson Yang, Ian Chen, Forrest Wheeler, Lucille Soong and many more amazing actors. It’s funny and relatable and surprisingly emotional. I have really enjoyed so far and look forward to more episodes.
5 Favorite Movies Of 2016:
- Rogue One- Absolutely brilliant and surprisingly sassy. Even if you haven’t watched any other Star Wars movies and even if you aren’t a huge Star Wars fan you will still love this movie.
- Finding Dory- This movie just proves that Ellen DeGeneres can do no wrong. I would highly recommend you watch this movie.
- Zootopia- Hilarious with an amazing moral about peace and unity. Really loved this movie.
- Sausage Party- I would definitely not recommend this to everyone. But if you are a fan of Seth Rogen do find some time to check it out. It’s quite funny!
- Central Intelligence- Hilarious and also very interesting! Definitely check it out if you haven’t so far.
My Favorite Musicians In 2016:
I hardly ever listen to new music so all the musicians below are going to be kind of old. But they are what I listened to most this year.
- Janis Joplin
- Bob Dylan
- The Beatles
- Loudon Wainwright
- Seth MacFarlane- Yes you read right! I said Seth MacFarlane. If you’ve heard of him before it’s probably because of his TV shows or movies. But yes he does music too. If you’ve seen anything he’s worked on before don’t be scared because his music is the exact opposite. It’s deep, meaningful, beautiful, and truly amazing. Please do check out his music if you have some time!
So those are my favorites for this year! Please let me know yours in the comments below I would love to hear from you!
Also really random question but if anyone has a good recipe with parsnips let me know. I bought some yesterday but now I kind of am not sure what to do with them. I’ve never had parsnip before and I have no idea what they taste like… Thank you!! 🙂
If you enjoyed this post don’t forget to like, follow, share and comment!
Enjoyed this post? Then follow me on social media:
Email me on(guest posts welcome!): firstname.lastname@example.org