So, I am officially turning 24 today. It’s a weird birthday- perhaps as weird as last year because there is another lockdown in Ontario and I can’t really do much and even if I could I would not do much because I have a 15 page paper due today.
Anyway, back to the point- I’m 24 today. Notice how I used a question mark and not an exclamation mark. Well that’s because I don’t really know how I feel about turning 24. Nothing much has changed, I don’t feel older, I hope I don’t look that much older than I did last year although the forehead wrinkles and grey hairs say otherwise, I don’t sound any wiser that’s for sure. But at the same time I feel like everything has changed. 2020 left it’s mark and 2021 is doing a great job mimicking it.
I feel like I have grown up a lot in the last year, I have learnt new things about myself and the world around me, I know what I want in life, my goals are a little clearer and closer to being achieved. Everything has changed and nothing has changed. I don’t know if that makes any sense but it does to me. However, I must admit I have been working on my research papers for a few weeks now which means I am running on coffee and occasional naps so I am not exactly in the best shape or even fully lucid… But my blog is called lifesfinewhine for a reason- at 24 I fully intend to whine and ramble on till WP tries to kick me off this platform again.
Either way, I wanted to share some things I have learnt or just thought about in the last twelve months. I did this last year too and I really enjoyed it and a lot of you guys did too so I thought I’m not WordPress I’m not going to try to fix something that ain’t broken. I’m going to keep doing what works which is sharing personal details of my life and thoughts to strangers because it’s 2021 and what even is privacy anymore?
- Life goes on- one thing I have really learnt over the last few months is that no matter how bad it gets life goes on. Nothing is permanent- not the good stuff and not the bad stuff.
- Change is a constant in life. People change, things change and you change. That’s okay and I need to learn to embrace change instead of fear it.
- Something are out of our control. I like control and I like to always be in control of things but over the last few months I have realised that we really have no control over anything ever. We think we can control aspects of out life but the truth is we really can’t. And that’s okay because something that’s for the best.
- People come and go. Cherish the good memories but don’t hold on to the person because they may no longer be the person that made those memories with you.
- Take every opportunity you can get. You may feel like you’re unqualified, you don’t have enough experience, you’ll never make it but the truth is you never know until you try.
- Your emotions exist for a reason- even the negative ones. The only way to deal with them is to embrace them.
- Ice cream cures pretty much everything. Pizza and fries help too.
- Always try to be the best version of yourself.
- STOP PROCRASTINATING!! Life moves so fast stop wasting it and just finish your paper already!
- Work towards your goals and don’t get disappointed by set backs.
- Patience is a virtue. It will take a while to get to where you want to be but keep going.
- Cats are the best.
- The Universe always has your back- trust it even when times get bad.
- It’s okay to ask for help.
- Don’t overthink things because it may be too late when you finally make a decision.
- Cherish the people you love while you can.
- Don’t constantly apologise because you’ll get desensitized and the word “sorry” will begin to lose it’s meaning/importance. Only apologise when you mean it.
- When you do apologise don’t add a “but” to it. Take responsibility, learn from your mistakes and move on.
- When someone apologises to you don’t say “it’s okay” because they will think their behaviour was okay and they can get away with it again as long as they apologise. Instead, say “thank you for apologising” so they know what they did was wrong.
- If someone adds a “but” to their apology they probably aren’t sorry they are just making excuses and trying to manipulate you into thinking they are sorry.
- Do what you’re passionate about- forcing yourself to do things you don’t enjoy is only going to make you miserable. Sometimes we have to do stuff we don’t want to- like finish research papers- but when we are able to chose something we love over something we hate we should always choose what we love doing.
- Moisturize- just a friendly reminder that I’m not getting any younger and I need to moisturize if I want my skin to keep looking good.
- True friends will stay by your side no matter what. Others that you thought would be in your life forever will leave and that’s okay.
- Love wins every time. Do everything with love and try to be the most loving and caring person you can be.
Well that’s it for now. Next year when I’m half way to 50 maybe I’ll have some more things to share with you guys but for my 24th birthday this is pretty much it. I hope you guys enjoyed reading those and let me know in the comments if any of them resonated with you. Also let me know what you have learnt in the last few months and what you wish you knew at 24 if you’re older than 24.
I’m going to get back to my paper now- if anyone was wondering it’s about Cuba and the Cold War. The Bay of Pigs invasion happened right around my birthday so that’s an interesting little bit of birthday history.
Anyway, I hope you guys have a wonderful day and since it’s 420 (coincidence? I think not…😂) I hope everyone celebrating has a lot of fun!
If you enjoyed this post don’t forget to like, follow, share and comment!
Enjoyed this post? Then follow me on social media:
Email me on(guest posts welcome!): email@example.com